Monday, February 25, 2013

OSCARS WERE PREDICTABLE by Pamela Powell

With all the award shows, the hype, the buzz, and the preparation, this year's Academy Awards Ceremony was predictable.  Not a surprise to be found.  Anne Hathaway for Best Supporting Actress in "Les Miserables?"  Predicted.  "Argo" for Best Picture?  Predicted.  Daniel Day Lewis for Best Actor in "Lincoln?"  Again, predicted.  William Shatner predicting the future headlines for this year's Oscar?  A bit surprising and a bit raunchy, but I was expecting a bit of raunchiness with our new host this year.  The fact that the networks could fill 3 1/2 hours of fluff on the red carpet was amazing to me...not the red carpet, but the fact that they could blather on and on about not too much was amazing.  And finally the length of the show, which clocked in over 4 hours, was not surprising.  It's always too long.  Here it is in a nutshell:
"Argo" took home Best Picture, Best Adapted Screenplay, and Best Film Editing.  "Life of Pi" was on top with 4 Oscars in the categories: Best Director, Best Original Score, Best Cinematography, and Best Visual Effects.  "Lincoln" took home 3 little gold bald guys in the categories: Best Actor and Best Production Design. And finally, "Django Unchained" brought home Best Supporting Actor and Best Original Screenplay.  Best Actress went to Jennifer Lawrence, Best Foreign Film to "Amour" and Best Documentary to "Searching For Sugar Man."


While I love movies and the Academy Awards, the drawn out production lends me to look at other aspects of stars that, to be honest (this is Reel HONEST Reviews), I'm not proud of.  For example, I was critiquing the men with their really long, stringy, old-thyme rock band hair styles.  Then there's Quentin Taratino that couldn't be bothered to tie his tie properly?  Really?  Maybe Sally Field should have helped him out as she did with the ever-young Joseph Gordon-Levitt.  And I am always so captivated by the uber-botox of the stars.  Nicole Kidman is gorgeous, but there is something creepy about her face not really moving.  I like my smile lines and my ability to raise my eye brows.  I like the fact that my kids know how I am feeling based on my expressions.  But again, I am doing what millions of others did last night...looking at the aspects that have nothing to do with the entertainment industry's shining night of awards.  I'm not proud of it, but maybe shorten it a bit and people wouldn't be looking at that.

That being said, I loved hearing Daniel Day Lewis' speech; it's always so down-to-earth and humble.  Ang Lee and his wife were adorable and again, humble and appreciative.  And there's no denying the honesty of Jennifer Lawrence with her short, heart-felt acceptance speeches.  She's had a lot of them this year, but I never seem to tire of hearing from her.  I also love the fact that she can have a ripped dress or fall UP the stairs and still not only have composure but  humor as well.

I'm glad it's over.  Maybe some decent movies can be released on the upcoming Fridays to entertain us all.  Life can get back to normal which brings a big smile to my face (and you can see the crow's feet around my eyes when I do it)!


No comments:

Post a Comment