Saturday, November 10, 2012

"SKYFALL" NOT MY CUP OF TEA by Pamela Powell

"Skyfall" was the 24th James Bond 007 spy movie starring Daniel Craig, Javier Bardem, Judy Dench and Naomie Harris.  This was the third Bond movie for Craig and the first-ever Bond movie for me.  I've attempted, over the years, to watch a variety of Bond movies, but have never made it through one.  I've tried for my husband's sake.  I've tried for my son's sake as he LOVES Bond and he LOVES the books!  I think I should have seen the Bond movies in the theater as I am then less likely to leave or give up.  So finally I have seen a Bond movie in the theater and made it all the way through. I'm going to make an assumption here.  I really think that Bond movies are geared solely toward males.  It's not that I don't like action movies, though!  I saw the trailer for the new "Die Hard" movie and I can't wait! I love those movies!  I can watch the "Die Hard" movies several times as I find them great workout movies while I'm on a treadmill or a spin bike!  I work out harder and longer because of them!  But Bond just doesn't float my boat.  Sorry, Bond fans.  But let's face it, if you're a Bond fan, you're going to see this movie no matter what I say anyway!

Now, on to the movie from a female's perspective.  The beginning of "Skyfall" was pretty intense with shootings, chases, car crashes, motorcycle stunts, fighting atop moving trains, and more shootings!  Then the opening credits rolled!  That was all just in the first 15 minutes.  Let's move on.  The storyline revolved around recovering the hard drive of a computer which contained the names and faces of all the British agents who were undercover and in the field.  Agents started dropping like flies due to the apparent negligence of the MI6 Leader, Agent "M."  Office politics were evident even in a Bond flick.  Bond must find who has this computer hard drive as soon as possible.

Apparently, all Bond movies follow a very successful formula.  The Bond Movie must have its villain and Skyfall's villain du jour was Silva (not Silver with a British accent, but Silva!) played by Javier Bardem.  Javier is no stranger to evil characters as his performance in "No Country For Old Men" comes quickly to mind and brings goosebumps to my skin.  In "Skyfall," however, his sinister character also adds a bit of levity to the film with his expressions of exasperation and irony.  The one special effect I can recall in this movie had to do with Silva and the effect was most impressive.  "M" was played by Judy Dench of whom I am a huge fan.  She can add reality and depth to anything.  She does so with Bond as well.  Craig's Bond was nothing extraordinary.  He was good.  He was believable, but he didn't really shine in my mind.  He lacked the charisma and personality that Moore and Connery have to me.  The Bond Girls (as I understand they are known as) were cute and beautiful and Craig's Bond enjoyed toying with them.  Berenice Marlohe was the voluptuous temptress with a constant look of "I just ate something very sour" on her big, pouty lips.  Great lipstick though.  Beauty in the women filled the screen as did the backdrops of London and Shanghai.  The concisely choreographed dance, er, um, I mean, fight scene with perfectly timed music was entertaining.  I'm not sure they wanted it to come across like that, but I felt like I was watching a hip scene from the Hubbard Street Dance Company.  In addition, the film had a lot of shooting, a lot of explosions, a lot of "apple cart tipping," chases, crashes, and more explosions.  The bad guys were numerous and at times I just didn't understand how they all ended up appearing in the middle of Scotland far removed from civilization.  I also didn't understand how deep water could be in a pond in the middle of a farm.  Silly me.  Then, I watched a scene take place in the daytime, then had it abruptly be the middle of the night and then POOF! it's daytime again in a matter of 5 minutes.  These oversights are always a bit bothersome.  But it's Bond, right?  I have to suspend belief to enjoy the film.  Fine.  I tried.  But why did the movie "Home Alone" come to mind?  I can't say anything more...it'll be a spoiler.  See the movie and then you'll say, "OH!  Now I see what Reel Honest Reviews meant!"

There you have it.  I'm not a Bond fan.  Sorry.  However, guys/Bond fans, I'm sure you'll love it.  Ladies, make your guy happy and go see it with him.  Then let him buy an expensive dinner for you as you just sat through a Bond movie just for him!  Guys, I'm kidding....kind of.










5 REELS

No comments:

Post a Comment