Monday, August 27, 2012

FOR A GOOD TIME, SKIP IT! by Pamela Powell







“For a Good Time, Call..."premiered at Sundance this winter.  It was about 2 women who couldn’t stand each other during their college years and are now forced to live together due to circumstances beyond their control...and due to a meddling friend they have in common.  Their gorgeous NYC apartment far exceeded their meager wages which pushed the two to be more creative in their ability to earn a dollar.  The phone sex business seemed to suit them well.  As the two built their business, they began to like each other more.  OK, this could be funny.  But once again, true to so many movies, all the funny (or even relatively funny) scenes were revealed in the trailers.  So, I checked off “funny” on my list of hopes for this movie.  Next on the list?  Item #2:  Well-written and creative.  Nope.  OK, on to item #3:  Great acting.  We’re not exactly batting a thousand here.  Last item #4:  Entertaining.  Jeez...can’t even give it much credit for that either!  It was mildly entertaining at best.

As I scoured through my journal and notebook that I used during the festival, I searched and searched for my notes on this movie.  Do you know what I found?  Nothing.  Hmmmm.  What do you think that means?  I do, however, remember thinking two things:  “Is this going to get any better?” and “Ugh, if the actors or director are in the audience, I can’t get up and leave!  UGH!”  

Ari Graynor, Lauren Miller, and Justin Long starred in this mediocre, rather crass, and not-so-funny comedy.  There were some mildly humorous parts, but all in all, not worth my time.  That's my call.  I believe that it was definitely geared solely toward the 20 to 30-something female age group who might actually enjoy it for its quality of total escapism.  At 40-something, I want my entertainment, no matter what the topic, to be smart and creative.  This was not.

2 REELS

2 comments:

  1. The cast and script make this film so much better than it had any right to be, even if I do think it gets a bit too predictable by the end. Still, it kept me entertained and that’s all that matters when I’m watching a raunchy sex comedy. Nice review Pamela.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your input! Yes, if you're looking for a raunchy sex comedy, this one fits the bill! I enjoyed reading your review as well!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete