Thursday, August 16, 2012

"THE CAMPAIGN" TOSSED A FEW WOODEN NICKELS by Pamela Powell



"The Campaign," starring Will Farrell, Zach Galifianakis, Jason Sudeikis, and Dillon McDermott wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be!  Initially, I must admit, I saw the trailers and had hope of another "Anchorman" or "Step Brothers."  (Yes, I did enjoy these movies.  They were silly and entertaining and sometimes that's just what a movie needs to be!)  As I saw more clips, I became more leery of its entertainment value.  However, even after my son and his friends panned it along with some critics, I still had to see for myself.  It wasn't bad...it wasn't great, but it really wasn't bad.



Cam Brady (Farrell) ran unopposed for Congress until two CEOs (reminiscent of "Trading Places" with Aykroyd) decided a different Congressman needed to be purchased and controlled like a puppet.  Enter Marty Huggins (Galifianakis) who was from a good-ol'-boy wealthy family in North Carolina.  Marty, however was anything but what his father wanted him to be.  Marty was a rather effeminate, sweet, and honest man which made him the black sheep of the family.  The CEOs hire Tim Watley (McDermott!) to help their cause by getting Huggins up to snuff physically, superficially, and ethically.  The antics ensue as the two Congressional opponents duke it out, sometime literally, to the bitter end.

Was it funny?  Yes, there were a lot of funny lines and situations.  Was it ridiculous?  Of course.  Was it crass?  Yes, in parts, but nothing horribly offensive and nothing I couldn't have taken my mother to!  (Please refer back to my "Hope Springs" review!)  So why in the world are the teens panning this movie?  There are a lot of references to my generation for jokes that someone in their teens or 20's just wouldn't get.  This movie also appeared to want to make a statement about  government and politics.  We adults, over the age of 35 have seen enough to get disgruntled and disenchanted.  Government and politics have reached an all new low, some might say.  The younger generation may not have become jaded yet which would have made the movie a bit on the preachy or dull side.  It took the ridiculous behavior and characteristics of politicians and blew it out of proportion to make fun of it.  And that's ok, but I think it would be more entertaining to a 40-something year old than a 20-something year old.

I was pleasantly surprised to have laughed and been entertained by this movie.  Will it have the same following that Farrell's other movies such as "Talladega Nights" and "Anchorman" have?  No.  But that doesn't mean you shouldn't see it.  I would recommend waiting until it comes out on DVD though.  The big screen price isn't necessary to see this movie.

5 REELS

No comments:

Post a Comment