Sunday, December 29, 2013

THE 2014 SUNDANCE HOT SHEET by Pamela Powell

For the third year in a row, Reel Honest Reviews will be traveling to beautiful Park City, Utah to partake in the cutting edge film festival known as Sundance.  With two years under my belt, I have finally learned a few important things:

1.  I do NOT need to pack an entire suitcase full of various boots.
2.  I do NOT need 3 outfits for each day.
3.  I do NOT need to schedule every single second while I'm there.  The best things seem to happen spontaneously so the control freak aspect of my personality needs to be quelled...perhaps with a little High West Whiskey!
4.  I DO need to remember that Utah liquor laws require the state liquor store to be closed on Sundays!
5.  I DO need to pack a backup camera.
6.  I DO need to eat dinner every day...note to self: Make reservations today!

Now that that's down in black & white, I can focus on the important aspects of the film festival---the movies!  What an array of films there are this year.  Each year, I think it can't possibly get any more exciting, but somehow it does.  Here are Reel Honest Reviews' projected highlights:

In the PREMIERES category:

HITS starring Julia Stiles, Micheal Cera, and Matt Walsh
HITS
I ORIGINS
LITTLE ACCIDENTS
A MOST WANTED MAN
THE ONE I LOVE
RUDDERLESS
THEY CAME TOGETHER
THE TRIP TO ITALY
THE VOICES
WHITE BIRD IN A BLIZZARD
WISH I WAS HERE

COLD IN JULY starring Michael C. Hall and Sam Shepard
In the US DRAMATIC category:


COLD IN JULY
WHIPLASH
GOD'S POCKET
HAPPY CHRISTMAS
INFINITELY POLAR BEAR
JAMIE MARKS IS DEAD
THE SKELETON TWINS
THE SLEEPWALKER

WHIPLASH starring Miles Teller and JK Simmons
In the WORLD CINEMA DRAMATIC category:
BLIND
THE DISOBEDIENT
LOCK CHARMER
LOCK CHARMER starring Esteban Lamothe and Eric Rivas

Other noteworthy films: LAND HO
BLUE RUIN
THE DOUBLE
STRANGER BY THE LAKE
LIFE ITSELF
CALVARY
LISTEN UP PHILIP
ALIVE INSIDE: A STORY OF MUSIC & MEMORY
ALL THE BEAUTIFUL THINGS
FED UP
ALIVE INSIDE: A story of Music & Memory
E-TEAM
RICH HILL
WEB JUNKIE
SEPIDEH-REACHING FOR THE STARS
COOTIES


Now, watching 35 films in 6 days is nearly (but not completely) impossible.  And I do pride myself on two abilities:  1.  The ability to view 5 films in one day  and 2.  The ability to call the winners of the film race from year to year.  But I will only be able to see a fraction of these films.  Hopefully, a high fraction, but a fraction no less.  Again, tapping into that laid-back personality (induced by High West Distillery, thank you very much), I will take advantage of everything Sundance has to offer and report back to you.  You will be the first to know what's going to be hot in the coming year!

Be sure to comment on this site if you have a film at Sundance or a friend's film that you would like for me to see and review!

No comments:

Post a Comment