Friday, January 25, 2013

"ESCAPE FROM TOMORROW" DEFIES DISNEY by Pamela Powell



FINALLY!  A film that depicts Disney World the way that I see it!  "Escape from Tomorrow" was an eerie and disturbing film about a family's last day of vacation.  Unfortunately, the father (Jim, played by Roy Abramsohn) learned that he would not have a job to come home to after Disney.  He wanted nothing more than to make the last day at Disney the best day ever.  That wasn't going to be the case.

Writer and Director, Randy Moore
As Mom (Emily, played by Elena Schuber) and Dad took each child to their respective favorite rides, Dad seemed distracted.  You would think he would have been distracted by the fact that he no longer had a job, but he was actually distracted by two cute, young teenagers roaming the park.  As his curiosity with the teens peaked, he began to accidentally happen upon the same rides!  Parenting frustration along with marital frustration exemplified the typical, but not admitted to, experience at Disney.  As was stated in the movie, "You can't be happy all the time," definitely played out in "Escape from Tomorrow."  In fact, while in the park, we had glimpses of something evil lurking or having happened in the past.  These glimpses became more frequent, but still didn't give the viewer enough information to figure anything out.  
Roy Abramsohn


One of my favorite scenes in this film was how Dad toured Disney's Epcot.  He drank his way around the world!  CHEERS!  That's exactly how I dealt with it! This black and white film gave a creepy 1950's feel to it.  You knew at the beginning that this was going to be Disney Gone Bad.  Overall, I would categorize this film as a horror flick...A DISNEY HORROR FLICK!  How many Disney Horror Flicks are out there!  Here's the kicker.  Disney had no idea that this film was taking place on its grounds!  Oh, dear!  Oh, me oh my!  I bet there might be some frowns that can't be turned upside down on the grounds of Disney this week!




Elena Schuber
This was a film that kept me guessing.  The kids in the film were adorable, however I don't think they pulled off being bratty.  My guess is, that these kids are pretty sweet kids.  "Escape From Tomorrow"  was a unique film not only because of the black and white aspect, but because of the setting.  The story-line was at times a bit too quirky and far-fetched, but not enough to make me not want to see what happened at the end.   

Kudos to Randy Moore, Director Extraordinaire, for pulling of a feat only I could have dreamed of!  Or maybe I have!  Yes, I did go to Disney and it really was a nightmare!

No comments:

Post a Comment